I run for my health, I run for my family. I run for the wind in my face, the cold air in my lungs and the fiery burn in my legs. I run for friends and family that have passed and will never feel that sense of accomplishment again. I run for the paralyzed and amputees that would give up everything to use my legs for one last run. I run for the sick and weak who pray for enough strength to get out of bed everyday. I run because I never know when it will be my last.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

WEEK #5 RECAP



Weekly Mileage: 31.14

Monday PM Ab workout

Tuesday was an early morning 4:00am relaxed run 4.5 miles in zone 2 at a pace of 8:52 felt smooth and relaxed it was a good stretch out after running the previous Sunday

Wednesday I ran down to the local high school track (3.5 miles there and back) to do a single mile time test (last test was 2/20 6:22) As soon as I started the run it began to pour buckets, I had to close my eyes on most of the straightaways and only open them on the turns. My goal was a sub 6 minute mile, I came close with a new PR of just under 6:06. I was happy with the results taking into account the weather and that I have cut 1:16 off my time in the last year.

Thursday I opted for an extra hour of sleep (much needed) and was lucky enough to get my run in after work. I took this rare opportunity of running on a week night to hit the trails. I ran to and up Mt. Talbert here in Clackamas the total run was 7.2 miles with 1,363 feet of elevation gain (almost all within 3 miles) with an average pace of 10:17. My ankles and feet took a beating and a few new blisters popped up, but man do I love running through the trails there is just nothing else like it.

Friday Rest Day

Saturday we were at the coast so I hit the beach for my long run, the weather was great and I met up with Beth about half way through so she could get her run in as well. I was supposed to run 2 1/2 hours in Zone 2 and hoped to get 15 miles in, I got just over 15 in 2:35:00 for an average pace of 10:22. Running on the beach was difficult on the feet especially after the trail run on Thursday but the scenery and getting to run with Beth made for an unforgettable experience. This was my longest run since the Marathon about 10 weeks ago, I had good energy through the entire run and muscles weren't hurting at all.

Sunday Rest Day

*This was the first week of adding the additional weekday run, I could definitely tell the difference but in a good way. I think it is starting to test my body again and resulting in positive changes. I opted not to do the 10k I was looking at in late July but will be running in a 5k this coming week for the 4th of July. My PR in the 5k is 22:30 and I hope to set a new one in this race.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew,

    I love hearing about your training and progress ... and I'm so proud of you!

    Love,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete