I run for my health, I run for my family. I run for the wind in my face, the cold air in my lungs and the fiery burn in my legs. I run for friends and family that have passed and will never feel that sense of accomplishment again. I run for the paralyzed and amputees that would give up everything to use my legs for one last run. I run for the sick and weak who pray for enough strength to get out of bed everyday. I run because I never know when it will be my last.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Week #21 (Taper Week)









For those of you that aren't familiar with the term "taper" it is the time before a race when your training s finished and you lighten the workload in an effort to be fresh going into your race. Usually a week or two, for a 50 miler most people suggest three to four weeks of tapering but with the way things worked out I am only able to get two weeks in. I'ts probably all for the better as I get pretty stir crazy during "taper" weeks anyways.

Weekly Mileage: 16.45

Monday Rest Day

Tuesday was an early morning run, I wanted to keep it short and just stretch out my legs as I was still a little sore from Saturday's 30 miler. I ended up getting in a very cold 3.30 miles at a 8:26 pace but am not sure it accomplished what I was hoping as it was so cold I didn't get much of a stretch.

Wednesday Rest Day

Thursday I got up early nervous about the temperature again but it actually was much warmer. I woke up not feeling good as I started to have a fever and the dreaded "yellow snot" was back again. I knew I probably shouldn't run especially with the high likely-hood my sinus infection from a few weeks ago may be coming back but I am so tired of being sick and having things getting in the way of my training I had to get out there. I just don't have time left to miss any training sessions.

Friday Rest Day (by the end of the night I actually began feeling much better)


Saturday I woke up and left the house for my run at the same times as I will next week for my race. I wanted my body to get used to the routine and also wanted to note the temperature and daylight so I would know what to expect next Saturday. The temperature at 7:00am was COLD, much colder than during the week at 4:30am and the sun didn't rise until close to 8:00am. This was a good experience as I will make sure I am prepared for that type of cold next week (my hands were like frozen slabs of meat for most of the run). I ended up running just over 8 miles at a 8:46 pace and everything went well other than the cold.



















Sunday Rest Day

*Going into "Race Week" I definitely feel like my training could have been better and my nutrition and weight are not where I wanted them to be however I also feel pretty confident about the race. I have great people supporting me from afar and there on race day and mentally I feel prepared. I can't believe after 5 months the week is finally here, I am nervous and excited and to be completely honest really ready for it to be over :)


No comments:

Post a Comment